The National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD), have rejected the 25,000 new hazard allowance announced by the federal government for medical doctors and health workers in the country.
Recall that the federal government announced earlier this week that it has approved an accoutrement allowance of N25,000 per quarter to medical and dental doctors in hospitals, medical centres and clinics in the federal public service.
In a statement released on Saturday, by the NARD’s President Emeka Orji said they will be rejecting the offer as it is a paltry sum and does not meet their demand.
“We observed the paltry 25 per cent increment in the basic salary of doctors as contained in the circular released by the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission (NSIWC) in the wake of the strike, as well as the accouterment allowance.
NEC has resolved to vehemently reject the paltry 25% increment in the basic salary of doctors as well as the accouterment allowance, adding that her earlier demand is for full restoration of the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure to its right value as at the time of the approval of the structure in 2009.”
However, the association said it would continue the ongoing nationwide total and indefinite strike action until reasonable progress is made by the government to address its demands.